Eccentric Henry Chapman Mercer decided to build a castle out of concrete near the turn of the century. He chose concrete so he could embed tiles (his occupation and hobby) directly into the walls and ceiling. Thank you Henry Chapman Mercer, for providing us with a Saturday outing.

Sadly, we couldn't take pictures inside. This small stairway gives you an idea of what the inside is like. Tiles EVERYWHERE. (And from everywhere too. Even cool ancient Babylonian ones.)

Mercer was also into printmaking, and filled any empty spaces on his walls with prints. Again, sadly we couldn't take pictures inside.
Fonthill Castle= highly recommended



4 comments:
I love that place. It's very cool. And to those of you who haven't been, Katie is right, it's cool and the inside is super cool!
Did I just type "cool" three times in one comment. Wow! I really am getting brainless this far into pregnancy!
wow that looks cool!!
You find the coolest things to do. I don't think that we did very many cool things while we lived in Philly. Almost makes me wish I still lived there. But without my job.
Post a Comment