
Oh Ada.
Ada loves to sleep in her car seat. Someone holding her while she sleeps is the next best thing. Sleeping in a crib is for ultra-babies.
I have been trying to transition her to a crib, and had managed to convince her it was an ok place to take a nap, but she would still sleep in her car seat at night. This past week I finally made a good-faith effort to get Ada sleeping in her crib ALL of the time. Armed with lots of good advice and the world's largest swaddling blanket, we had a few OK nights. I thought I had done it. Too bad Ada disagreed. The other night she decided she had experienced enough of the crib, and woke up every 1-2 hours, thus weakening my resolve for the next day. She then went on a nap-boycott for the whole day. She did manage to take two 20 minute naps in her car seat while I ran errands, but other than that she refused to sleep. Finally around 6, tired and broken, I let her sleep in my arms.
And did she get her way? Oh yes. Last night Ada slept in her car seat again for EIGHT HOURS STRAIGHT before I finally woke her up to eat. My sanity is worth more than a crib being used.
Ada: 1
Me: 0
11 comments:
I'm laughing right now . . . and sighing. I totally have been there. Don't beat yourself up about letting her sleep in her carseat. Think of the carseat as her bassinet. Neither of my kids would nap in their cribs until 4-5 months old. Weston favored the bouncer seat and Davin liked the swing. It is annoying, but all of a sudden they will reach a point where noise wakes them up instead of putting them to sleep and they will learn to sleep in their beds.
My Tips: make sure it's nice and dark in their room (dark curtains are my solution). Also, on top of a crib pad and a sheet I put at LEAST one really soft fleecy blanket tucked into the sides so they won't get wrapped up in it. Lastly, both my boys sleep better with white noise. Weston sleeps with a fan on and Davin has a little noise machine/night light that we got at Bed Bath and Beyond.
I hope you get another 8 hour stretch of sleep soon! Good luck!
That is so funny! Hopefully you will make a come back soon. I am sorry she is being a big baby about it :) Get some sleep this weekend.
So I guess we don't have to worry about who has dibs on the pack and play at Mom and Dad's house then. Just kidding. Although I don't think I would mind sleeping in that comfy looking car seat either.
Ella insists that nap time is to be on Roberts side of the bed. She sleeps in her crib fine at night, but not naps. For the kids I used to nanny, eventually it was just more comfortable to sleep in thier beds instead of the cars seat. They just had to get big enough. I feel ya though.
p.s. that car seat cover is crazy awesome!
Okay, allow me to step up onto my soap box and add another opinion to your already long list of feedback.
If Ada has found a place to sleep where she is safe and gives you EIGHT hours, keep her there! Babies are constantly changing. In a few weeks she might decide she's tired of the car seat and only wants her crib. I do know that she won't be sleeping there until she's 17 years old so don't fret. Maybe there's something more going on than her being a goober (that's the nicest word we've been able to find for Gabriel when he's being difficult). Maybe she feels safe because it's more like being held; maybe she can breath better because she's upright. Whatever it is, when she's ready for a change she'll let you know.
I too have been guilty of stressing over these little things and now looking back I know that with the next one I will be SO much more easy going. Whatever keeps baby and mama happy is what I'm going to do DESPITE what my baby magazines say!
Good luck!
Tara
I hear you on that one. Julia was that way. Try putting her carseat IN the crib. My opinion is that it gets them used to the room/surroundings to make the transition soon. (worked for Julia) But if all else fails, I definitely side with you on the sleep is better than fighting for the crib idea for now.
what a great picture of ada! she totally looks like she's in her element. it's hard to fight a girl with a smile on her face. plus, since she's a fewkes she'll soon be able to fall asleep anywhere, in a chair, on the stairs, brushing her teeth...
Robyn is right - those Fewkes Narcoleptic genes are pretty strong. For now, though, this isn't really a battle you want to fight. You've already won the big battle - she sleeps! Let her sleep in her car seat. Save the big battles for dating before she's 16 and strapless prom dresses. Enjoy your 8 hours. I wish my kids would all sleep 8 consecutive hours on the same night. It would be heaven.
Katie! I found your blog listed on your facebook. What an adorable little girl you have. How are you doing (well, besides the not sleeping in the crib thing =)), lots of love for your guts!
too funny! we love it! and i don't blame her...that thing is sweet!
Post a Comment