
Floyd, Virginia: population 432, county seat of Floyd County, and home to the bluest bluegrass in the Blue Ridge Mountains. When we were down in Roanoke, I got to tag along with some brothers-in-law to the weekly Friday Night Jamboree held at the Floyd Country Store. The whole experience was authentic and amazing. The crowd was decent, and I would guess it was about 80% local townfolk there for a good time, and 20% gawkers, like me, there to toe-tap. I left proud of the town for keeping this tradition alive. I took a little video with my blackberry, so it isn't the best quality, but I think it's worth a look. The dancing is called "the flatfoot", according to an old guy sitting behind me named "Roscoe" (not kidding) with a gnarly beard (think Lorenzo Snow, double it, and you're halfway there).
Out of Appalachia and into West Philly. We also hit up the Clark Park flea market recently. It was put on by the Uhuru Solidarity Movement. Some of our friends introduced it to us awhile back. I do love a swap meet, but it was mainly junk this time. Nothing like the loot at Denio's in Roseville. Still a fun time. Ada dug all of the action and the reggae band.
No comments:
Post a Comment